Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Bad Beat Story - How I Brought the Pain

I'm used to being on the receiving end of runner-runner suckouts; but tonight, it's my turn to inflict the emotional damage on others that has been inflicted on me.

I'm sitting in MP2 with Kd, Jh. EP raises from .50 to $1.00 and MP1 raises from $1.oo to $1.50. I think to myself that this in no-limit and these are pretty weak raises. So I cold call the $1.50 and see a flop. That move was questionable, especially given the trouble hand that is K,Jo.

The flop is J,T,4 - all diamonds, giving me top pair decent kicker and the 2nd nut flush draw.

EP checks, and MP1 goes all in. About $50 into a $5 pot. Prior to this hand, MP1 has probably gone all-in and overbet the pot perhaps 10 times in 45 minutes. I'm thinking draw. As I only have about $18 left, I call. Well so does EP.

Here are the hands:

EP: A,5 diamonds - nut flush
MP1: Q,Q - overpair to my top pair
MP2 (yours truly): - Crap on rye

Now let's see how the turn and river slowly improve my hand, 1 step at a time.

Turn: Js - Hey great, now I have trips J's overtaking MP1's QQ but still behind the nut flush of EP.
River: Kc - Sweet - boat.

Crap on rye has just been transformed into $55 dollars in cash money!

In all honesty, I'm not too pleased with my play here. It was less than optimal. But damn, the results sure do ease the misgivings of playing so poorly. Rock on!

No comments: