Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Relentless

Didja ever see the movie "They Live?"

Not exactly a cinematic classic in the eyes of many reviewers, it holds a special place in my heart thanks to its star: Roddy Piper. For the uninitiated, the story revolves around Piper's character who stumbles upon some special sunglasses that when worn, reveal the world to be not as it seems. Subliminal messages, aliens disguised as humans and surveillance drones are now visible to the Rowdy one.

But that's not the point.

The scene that makes the whole movie is when Piper tries to get his construction worker friend named Frank to put on the sunglasses. Frank won't do it, he thinks Piper is crazy. Thus begins perhaps one of the greatest fights ever recorded in modern movie history. Just when you think it's over, it begins anew. Piper goes down and Frank begins to walk away. Fight over? No. Piper gets up and keeps at it, pleading with Frank to put on the glasses. He won't do it. Again, Piper goes down and you think it's over. It's not.

In the end, after what seems like a 15-round marathon, Piper gets Frank to wear the glasses.

Well, the last few days at Full Tilt Poker, it feels like I'm in the middle of that fight. Just when you thought I couldn't get outdrawn again, it happens. It's like Party used to be, people are calling all-in bets on draws - and getting them. Forget about me catching a two outer on the occasion I make the bad play.

But, like Piper, I keep getting up. It's easy when you know you're in the right, but frustrating when your inferior opponent gets the upper hand in the short term.

I only know this: If you see me at Full Tilt or anywhere else for that matter, eventually I'm gonna make you wear those fucking sunglasses.

No comments: