Monday, April 18, 2005

Kids These Days

Some of you may recall this: Mini Blood Check Raises His Mom

Since then, miniBlood has been permitted to play "Play Money Tournaments" on Empire poker under the guise of his mother's id, Mrs_Blood. It's the honest truth when I say he's able to open up Empire Poker, find a play money table and play the tournament all by himself. I don't worry about real money because there isn't any in Mrs_Blood's account.

For the purposes of this discussion, sounds are OFF on Mrs_Blood's Empire software setup. Repeat: OFF.

Consider my reaction when I got home one day last week and the Mrs. tells me a little story.

Mrs_Blood was doing some random tasks around the house, when miniBlood finds her and says, "Mommy, I got the computer to cheer for me." Mrs_Blood knows that miniBlood is usually only on the computer nowadays to play poker, so the "cheering" raised some flags. Mrs_Blood, being the most excellent wife she is, makes a beeline to the computer room and notices that miniBlood has managed to log onto a real money table. On Party Poker.

She immediately closes down the program and temporarily forbids miniBlood from any more internet poker until daddy gets home. Upon receiving notice of the goings on, I myself make a beeline to the computer to check out the damages.

In an attempt to restrict miniBlood to Empire Poker only, I had only removed the desktop icon shortcut to Party figuring that would be sufficient. It wasn't. miniBlood had found the shortcut from the start menu, recognized it as Party Poker and logged on.

As BadBlood.

With my bankroll.

I checked my account history online to see what miniBlood had done. By the looks of it, he had logged onto 3 $25NL tables and logged out of them with $25 intact. Thank goodness just a few random clicks and no damage. Then I scrolled down a bit further in the account history table. BadBlood enters table xxxxxx with $527. What? What?

If you know the Party Poker interface, you know that they group the tables together by game-type. The higher stakes no limit tables are just a few entries up from the $25 ones. Party veterans will also note that if you were to join a LIMIT ring game, the default buy-in is 25xBB. Based on those two facts, I've deduced that miniBlood logged into at least a $600 or higher NL ring game.

One thing that I've taught the little Blood is to push with Aces. For a five year old, it's not too bad a strategy. Based on his play money tournaments, he sure knows how to push, clicking and dragging that slider all the way to the right.

What all this adds up to is that my Party Poker bankroll was at a very real risk of being run dry by my 5 year old son.

As I further perused the account history web page, I was glad to notice that miniBlood had cashed out of this table for $1.50 profit. I haven't checked the hand histories yet, but I'm damn curious to find out what the hell he did with my bankroll. I was also damn quick to uninstall Party from the machine he has access to.

Damn kids and their computer literacy.

No comments: