Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Wager

It all began with an innocent discussion during a midnight showing of Rocky Balboa. G-Rob and I sat alone in the empty theatre, talking about poker. The discussion drifted towards the new location of the Gaelic Game and how prone it was to a possible bust. G-Rob eventually offered up the gem, "Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be playing there until they get a new locale."

Fast-forward to Christmas Day. It's evening time, I'm beat to hell after a long day, and I had just put the kids to bed. (There's nothing better than to hear your kids say they got everything they wanted for Christmas as they hit their pillows on the night of the 25th. Nothing.) G-Rob buzzez into my IM about how he's just about to go loony based on the insanity at his house. So much so, that he says he'll be playing at the Gaelic Game tonight at its new location.

"So, the threat of being busted is currently outweighed by your current post-Christmas delirium?" I asked.

"That's right," he typed in a Putty-like way.

I responded with my thoughts comparing his poker playing to smoking and how he'd never give up either. I told him I could give up going to Platinum sooner than he could give up smoking. Not quite apples to apples, but he got the picture.

He cleverly responded, "I bet I could quit smoking longer than you could go without online poker."

Quite a parry, that one. I thought about it and realized that it would be quite a test for me and that the bet would be a fair and even one. With some discussion to the wager-size behind us, we eventually agreed. Starting this morning, the wager is on. BadBlood - no online poker. G-Rob - no smoking, of ANY kind.

Cast your votes in the comments, it's an even money proposition. Our stakes are medium in size so as to avoid unnecessary compromises to friendship, but it's a bet that should hurt a little to pay off. Especially considering the ration of shit the winner will give the loser.

I predict a draw. G-Rob will call me after a few days saying the bet is killing him. I'll agree after being unable to quell my Jones for online poker. The result will be G-Rob driving to my house and lighting up a smoke on my porch right as I log onto Pokerstars and play.

No comments: