Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Tidbits v2.0

Welcome back for another installment.  Back here in G-Vegas, winter approaches and the mini’s are finishing up the first half of the school year eagerly awaiting the holidays.  Family fun is one sure way to flush away the doldrums of a bankroll decimating vacation.  Not to mention how a good workout will too.  It felt good to get under the iron once again on Tuesday after a 5 day hiatus.

****

Reading Chaderama’s blog about us wandering the lost hallways of the Excalibur looking for the exit brought back memories.  I had just raised, not called, but raised away all my chips at the PLO8 game with 2nd nut low, top two pair.  The nut low and flush called me with ease.  It was at that point that TheMark said, “You need to go to bed.”  So I wandered away and luckily found Chad to share a cab ride with.  Man, was I out of it.

****

Was I a fan of the Imperial Palace poker room?  No.  Let me count the ways.  First, $1/$2 blind NL hold ‘em with only a $100 buy-in is bogus.  50xBB is not the way to go.  Secondly, I had busted out and put $100 cash on the table to re-buy, and was dealt in a hand which I eventually won.  So I had cash and chips on the table.  During a subsequent hand when I wanted to go all-in, a different dealer said cash didn’t play.  The whole table erupted in protest on my behalf.  I had 1 red $5 chip left and that’s all I could bet to protect my pocket K’s on the turn.  The player I was playing against would have folded to a $105 bet, but of course had to call since the bet was only $5 more.  He had A8.  Since nobody had to remove any dead bodies, you at least know an Ace didn’t hit the river.

****

Prop betting, hi-low split style is much more fun.  Wil and I would not only bet on the color of the Excalibur wheel spin, but also on the ending digit (either 0 or 5).  Frequently we’d push, sometimes there was a scoop, and other times somebody would get quartered when a neutral color hit and the number portion of the bet would pay off.

****

Next time you see him, you’ll have to ask TheMark how he got banned from the IP poker room.  Being flat out wasted may or may not have contributed.

****

In the credit where credit is due department, I officially give JoeSpeaker some props for adjusting his play to the unadulterated aggression displayed by TheMark.  Joe had been pushed off the first pot he was in with Mark and then slow-played a set of Queens to perfection, getting most of, if not all, his cash back.  Well played, sir.

No comments: